Kids love playdough. It’s squishy, soft, colourful and pliable. They love the texture and the shapes they can mould and roll out. Fortunately, it’s so easy and enjoyable to make your own DIY playdough! It’s a wonderful non-toxic substitute that is also more affordable. Kids enjoy helping, and it only requires a few simple ingredients. Moreover, you can make DIY playdough with natural or organic food colouring. Remember, young skin readily absorbs chemicals, so it’s essential to be careful about what your youngster comes into contact with.
We suggest you use organic, natural ingredients for your playdough. You’ll find a list of ingredients and a complete recipe below. So, get ready for hours of entertainment for your kids!
How to Make Natural DIY Playdough
Because they are simple and have a long shelf-life, try organic food-based powders. Powders are very easy to use. Essentially, you mix it in by adding it directly to your water. Also, try tinting your DIY playdough with organic beetroot powder. It has a lovely pink hue. Other organic colour choices include spinach, spirulina, and turmeric (purchase turmeric powder cautiously as some have high lead levels). So, buy organic turmeric (curcumin) when possible. A good colouring brand to consider is India Tree’s natural food colouring. Red and yellow can be combined with other hues to form orange, red and blue can generate purple, and yellow and blue can create green.
DIY Playdough Ingredients:
- 1 cup organic flour
- 1/2 cup salt (any kind will work)
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar (non-GMO)
- 1 tablespoon of food-based oil such as olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 cup of lukewarm water
- Colouring: Natural food-based powder (1-2 teaspoons) or natural food colouring (5 drops).
- Mix dry ingredients (flour, salt, cream of tartar) in a saucepan
- Add food colouring to the warm water and mix in a bowl
- Slowly add oil and coloured water to the dry ingredients. Keep stirring
- Heat the mixture slowly on the cooktop over low to medium heat. Whisk the mix frequently while heating. It will soon start forming into a ball (and look like playdough).
- Finally, remove the dough from the pot and kneed it when the dough has cooled. Then, it’s ready for play!
You can store DIY playdough in an airtight container in the refrigerator, which will last for months. Tupperware or mason jars will work.
Look at our range of natural and organic clothes to keep your little ones safe and warm this winter. Winter sale on now!